SOME PRESENTATION SKILL FOR WRITING PROFESSIONAL EXAMINATIONS
You can also click on the image to download the below presentation tips.
Encouragement given by CA Clues friends inspire me to write this Article which is completely based on my personal experience during my University and Professional examination. I am really indebted to all of them.
As we all know presentation plays a very important role in fetching high marks especially in CA Exam. You may use the following tips which I have observed during my study and used in my CS and CA exams:
1. In practical problems never start your answer with Yes or No unless you are 100% sure. First mention the relevant provision and show in your answer how you reach the conclusion. In the end conclude your answer in the following manner : “On the basis of above discussion we can conclude that as per the Section-166 Annual General Meeting can not be convened on a public holiday.” (Consider this as an example).
On the contrary if you are 100% sure from the very beginning always start your answer with Yes or No. Like in the above problem it is very much sure that AGM can not be held on a public holiday.
2. Try and always mention the relevant section. Make it a habit. Do not ask anybody regarding the importance of remembering a section. If you make it a habit now it will 100% pay at the time of your final preparation.
For example: Distinguish between Fixed and Floating Charge
Mention the distinction in the following way:
(i) Fixed charge is created in the specific property on the other hand floating charge is created on the class of property.
(ii) Fixed charge clutch the property whereas floating charge floats over the property.
Conclusion: You should use “on the other hand” OR “whereas” to club two different provisions.
4. Use only Blue and Black Pen to write. Never use any other color otherwise wastage of time and bed impression on teacher.
5. You may underline the relevant provision or any substantial provision.
6. Start your answer from a new page with the heading “Answer to Question No. 1/2/3 or 10”
7. Try and improve your recalling power. When you firs see the question the entire answer should be in your mind. (Yes it is 100% possible). Benefit: You’ll be able to complete your answer with more valuable content as compare to others and very quickly & within a certain time frame. When other writes 5-6 points you write at least 8-10 points.
8. In theory paper never read practical problems first. First attempt flat questions. Like in Audit or Law first attempt short notes or distinctions etc.
Reason for not attempting the practical problems first is that in the beginning you have enough time to read it twice or thrice and waste your time.
9. If you mention any case law highlight it properly. Write it in the following way:
Union of India
10. In distinction problems first write something (2-3 lines) about the topic. Example: Like in the distinction between Interim and Final Dividend write some about Interim and Final Dividend and mention in the end: “hence the points of distinction between Interim and Final Dividend are as follows”
11. If in a passage there are various points try and write them separately in points and give them separate number.
12. In exam never use short forms like AGM, EGM, CG, CLB, ROC, ICSI, ICAI, SAP, AS.
13. When you start your answer by using a section use like this:
“As per Section-171 of the Companies Act, 1956”
14. Do not worry you may start your paper by answering question No. 10 first.
15. You may experiment all these points in your university exams or rather I would say you should use university exams to improve your writing skills.
16. I have seen many students after receiving their exam copy start making margins with their scale on the left side of the exam copy. This is some thing really horrible. Avoid it.
17. While writing be specific about your answer. In other words write your answer to the point.(Faltu copy bharna baker hai professional exams mai)
18. Try and make an effort to complete your paper 100%. In other words attempt full paper of 100 marks. This is very important for fetching more marks.
19. Try and avoid cutting of words. (See the example below)
Whenever a company fails to file the annual accounts and annual returns, des -cribed in sub-clause (A) of clause (g) of sub-section (1) of section 274, persons who are directors on the last due date for filing the annual accounts and the annual returns for any continuous three financial years commencing on and after the first day of April, 1999, shall be disqualified.
Observe the first line of the Para above and see the word described. Half the word is in first line and half is in second line. This is some thing very poor as far as professional exams are concerned. So avoid it.
20. During your preparation try and study everything. Everything here means each and every topic. The basic idea behind this point is that you must have something relevant to write about the given topic.
For example a short note came in the paper regarding “Reserve Capital” u/s 99 of Companies Act, 1956 if you have never ever heard about Reserve Capital then you’ll be completely blank. So to avoid such situation this point may be prove helpful to you all.
Hope you all agree with me on the above mentioned points. I am very hopeful that these points surely add something to your Examination copy. Wish you all the best for June’09 Examination. Give your best shot.